Wonders of Nature
This part of the website is dedicated to observing meteors.
It was my first and most extensively experienced part of astronomy.
Small grains of dust originating from comets and entering the Earth atmosphere at an altitude of about 100 kilometers.
Those small particles burned up in just a split of a second but sometimes a very bright one appears, called a fireball.
Such nice meteors have long lasting trains for many seconds. My main interest is photographing these particles.
Meteor observation campaigns and expeditions all are in collaboration with the Dutch Meteor Society (DMS)
On 7 october Asteroid 2008 TC3 entered the Earth atmosphere above the Nubian desert of Sudan and we did go there!
- 2009: Asteroid 2008 TC3 - conference - recovery - site seeing - Almahata Sitta, Nubian Desert, Sudan
- 2007: Geminids, Public Observatory Halley, Heesch, Netherlands (Video by Roy Keeris)
- 2006: Leonids, Baza, Andalucia, Spain "crash" Expedition
- 2004: Geminids, Kahler Asten, Winterberg, Germany and some images of this very succesful Geminids 2004 Expedition
- 2004: Perseids, Netherlands, Germany, Romania and some images of the Perseids 2004 Expedition to Darmanesti and Corbasca, Romania (Video from Darmanesti and Video from Corbasca)
- 2003: Quadrantids, several locations in the Netherlands
- 2002: Leonids, Rodalquilar, Andalucia and a lot of fine images of this late Leonids 2002 Expedition to Otura and Rodalquilar, Andalucia, Spain
- 2002: Perseids, several locations in the Netherlands
- 2001: Geminids, several locations over Belgium and the Netherlands
- 2001: Leonids, Xining, China and some images of this second Sino-Dutch Leonids Expedition 2001 in Xinglong, Miyun and PanShan in China
- 2001: Lyrids, Visual observations and Lyrids 2001, Photographic observations in The Netherlands and Spain
- 2000: Ursids, many locations in the Netherlands and elsewhere
- 2000: Leonids, The Netherlands and Spain and some images of the Leonids 2000 Expedition in the Houdringebos, De Bilt, the Netherlands
- 2000: Perseids, many locations in the Netherlands
- 1999: Leonids, Xálo, Spain and some images of this Leonids 1999 Expedition to Xalo, Spain
- 1999: Perseids, many locations all over Europe
- 1998: Leonids, Delingha, China and some images of this extraordinairy Sino-Dutch Leonids 1998 Expedition and two films compiled by Romke Schievink: Leonids 1998 in China, part 1 and Leonids 1998 in China, part 2
- 1998: Draconids, visual and radio-observations from several locations over the Netherlands
- 1997: Perseids, many locations all over the Netherlands
- 1996: Geminids, many locations all over the Netherlands
- 1996: Leonids, Sexbierum, the Netherlands and Woignarue, France
- 1996: Perseids, many locations in the Netherlands and in Germany
- 1996: Lyrids, Biddinghuizen, Leiden, Benningbroek, the Netherlands
- 1995: Alfa Monocerotids, Alcudia de Guadix, Andalucia
- 1995: Leonids, Alcudia de Guadix, Andalucia and some images of this fine Leonids 1995 Expedition to Andalucia, Spain
- 1995: Perseids, Varsseveld, Rha, Oostkapelle, Biddinghuizen, the Netherlands
- 1993: Perseids, Rognes, Provence and some images of this very first Perseids 1993 Expedition to Rognes, Provence, France
- 1992: Perseids, Basel, Germany
- 1990: Geminids, Lardiers, Provence - the very first extremely succesful international multi-station Geminid expedition!