Wonders of Nature
Storm Chasing USA 2009
This webpage tells you on our experiences on our StormChase in the USA Tornado Alley.
Our "working area" roughly is located by Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa.
Our starting point is in the middle of Tornado Alley which is Oklahoma city nearby the Storm Prediction Center in Norman.
Our primary interest is, ofcource, the observation of nice severe weather such as supercell's, wall-clouds and perhaps a tornado.
These phenomena can be quite dangerous so we will take utmost caution and keep out of the way of such severe storms.
This time we have some special devices with us to better keep track on the storms as they develop such as a netbook connected to the internet and a gps.
And... sometimes there is no severe weather so we will do some siteseeing.
Day to day events during our Stormchase and Site-Seeing tour in the USA|
- Saturday, may 16 : Amsterdam - Oklahoma
- Sunday, may 17 : Oklahoma - Tucumcari
- Monday, may 18 : Tucumcari - Albequerque
- Tuesday, may 19 : Albequerque - Holbrook
- Wednesday, may 20 : Holbrook - Flagstaff
- Thursday, may 21 : Flagstaff - Grand - Canyon
- Friday, may 22 : Grand Canyon - Las Vegas
- Saturday, may 23 : Las Vegas - St. George
- Sunday, may 24 : St. George - Page
- Monday, may 25 : Page - Blanding
- Tuesday, may 26 : Blanding - Moab
- Wednesday, may 27 : Moab - Grand Junction
- Thursday, may 28 : Grand Junction - Salida
- Friday, may 29 : Salida - Grand Island
- Saturday, may 30 : Grande Island - Russell
- Sunday, may 31 : Russell - Oklahoma
- Monday, june 1 : Oklahoma - Amsterdam
Information on how we chase Severe Storms in Tornado Alley (in Dutch only)|
- Practical, Theoretical and Technical Documentation on Storm Chasing
- Maps, Photography, Telecommunications, Computers, etc.
- Backup strategy if all else fails
- Planning a chaseday from wakeup until bedtime
- Sources of information to find the correct location to chase storms
- Baron Mobile Threatnet, WxWorx receiver and XM WX Weather Radio data
- Websites on storm chasing: meteorology, instrumental, car rental, motels, restaurants
- Sites of interest to visit when there are no storms to chase
- Costs of two weeks of storm chasing
- Converting traditional hail size (in.) descriptions