Wonders of Nature
Storm Chasing USA 2010
This webpage tells you on our experiences on our StormChase in the USA Tornado Alley.
Our "working area" roughly is located by Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Iowa.
Our starting point is in the middle of Tornado Alley which is Oklahoma city nearby the Storm Prediction Center in Norman.
Our primary interest is, ofcource, the observation of nice severe weather such as supercell's, wall-clouds and perhaps a tornado.
These phenomena can be quite dangerous so we will take utmost caution and keep out of the way of such severe storms.
This time we have some special devices with us to better keep track on the storms as they develop such as a netbook connected to the internet and a gps.
And... sometimes there is no severe weather so we will do some siteseeing.
Day to day events during our Stormchase and Site-Seeing tour in the USA|
- Sunday, may 2 : Emporia, Kansas
- Monday, may 3 : Effingham, Illnois
- Tuesday, may 4 : Stevens Point, Wisconsin
- Wednesday, may 5 : Site-seeing Chicago, Illnois
- Thursday, may 6 : Site-seeing Chicago, Illnois
- Friday, may 7 : Hard-Rock café Chicago, Illnois
- Saturday, may 8 : Site-seeing Saint Louis, Missouri
- Sundag, may 9 : ???
- Monday, may 10 : Sedan, Kansas
- Tuesday, may 11 : Cordell & Woodward, Oklahoma
- Wednesday, may 12 : Wichita, Kansas
- Thursday, may 13 : ???
- Friday, may 14 : ???
Information on how we chase Severe Storms in Tornado Alley (in Dutch only)|
- Practical, Theoretical and Technical Documentation on Storm Chasing
- Maps, Photography, Telecommunications, Computers, etc.
- Backup strategy if all else fails
- Planning a chaseday from wakeup until bedtime
- Sources of information to find the correct location to chase storms
- Baron Mobile Threatnet, WxWorx receiver and XM WX Weather Radio data
- Websites on storm chasing: meteorology, instrumental, car rental, motels, restaurants
- Sites of interest to visit when there are no storms to chase
- Costs of two weeks of storm chasing
- Converting traditional hail size (in.) descriptions